When looking around the house, it might occur to you that it is in fact, a little too cramped. There might be too many items in your home – and you might not really want to get rid of any of them. That said, you do not really have anywhere else to store them (i.e. perhaps your attic and shed are already full and overflowing too!). In that case, it might be time for you to consider renting a room from a self-storage.
Self-storages are facilities that provide individuals with cheap storage space. In other words, it is somewhat similar to reserving a hotel – but for your belongings, that is. If you decide in favour of using a self-storage, below are some helpful tips to consider prior to doing so.
• What will you be storing? – Once you’ve decided to rely on self-storage, this is the first question you ought to ask yourself. What exactly will you store? It is best if you make a list of items you need the least at the moment, and send them packing to the facility.
• How much space will you need? – You’ve decided what you will store. Great. Now, the next step is to figure just how much space all those belongings will take up. Self-storages have rental spaces starting from closet-sized rooms to double garage-sized rooms. Carefully decide how much space you will need – you neither want to pay in excess, or be faced with not enough space!
• What facilities will your belongings need? – Depending on the nature of your belongings, they might need certain additional facilities. There are storage facilities that can provide climate control or additional security in the form of CCTV cameras and biometric access systems. (If you want to store something valuable, then you definitely need higher security, so make sure to search well!)
• From when to when will you store your belongings? – Once you’ve decided what to store and where, you need to decide when you will store. Normally, the self-storage works on a monthly rental basis – but keep in mind that this can vary from company to company. Furthermore, make sure to check that there is available space during the time period you want to store your belongings – otherwise, you might find out that the self-storage with all your preferred amenities is out of space when you decide to go.
• Which self-storage company will you use? – This mostly ties in with what facilities you will need and the time period you will be using the facility for. Different facilities have different amenities, and also may or may not have cheap storage space for your required time period. The internet is a great way of comparing self-storages and picking one which fits your requirements.
Whilst the above are only a few pointers – there are many things you need to consider when picking a self-storage – they are also the most important points you need to be aware of. Other additional things you can consider are, for example discounts and the cost of storage. There are many storage facilities however, so you’re guaranteed to find one which will fit your needs.